1. What information do we collect?
Information you give us:
- through registration;
- when you subscribe to our newsletter, participate in a contest or survey;
- when you contact us through email; and
- information that we request that you enter on certain pages on the website.
This may include your name, street address, city, postcode, mobile telephone number and email address. In addition, other specific types of information may be requested in connection with contests, sweepstakes, other promotional offers or other marketing efforts.
- Information we receive from other sources such as when somebody buys a gift for you on our site and from partners we jointly offer services with or from advertisers, about your interactions with them. This may comprise your name, geographic location, age, shopping habits, user-generated content (such as blogs and social media postings), social media user name or other social media profile information (such as number of followers), in each case as permitted by law. We rely on the lawful basis for processing (which could be the consent you give to third parties) prior to us receiving that information for processing. Refer to the third party privacy statements of each of the websites you interact with for further details of that party’s processing.
2. How do we use your information?
We use the information you give to us to:
- make sure you have a great, customised experience using our services;
- provide customer service and support and respond to your queries and requests;
- contact you to notify you that you have been selected as a winner of a contest or sweepstake;
- send you details if you are a winner of or to confirm your entry to future competitions or events;
- protect and prevent against fraud;
- enable our experts to conduct data analysis to help us improve our services and advertising, including showing you our adverts as you browse the web. We also anonymise and aggregate personal information (so that it does not identify you) and use it for purposes including testing our IT systems, research, data analysis, improving our site and app, and developing new products and services; and
- send you current mailings or other marketing information about Canvas and our affiliated companies in which we think you would be interested through email / mail / SMS messaging (if you have given us permission to do so when you have registered with us).
In accordance with the law, we will only retain your personal information for the period necessary to accomplish the purpose for which it was provided. We keep this data under periodic review to ensure it is still necessary for us to retain it.
3. How we share your information?
We may share your personal information with our affiliated companies and with reputable service providers and other partners that help us run our business and improve our services and your customer experience (such as credit card processing, shipping, data management, email distribution, market research, information analysis, order fulfillment, marketing, data analytics, customer service, website/e-shop hosting, and promotions management). We may disclose your personal information for the purposes set out above and only for specific purposes according to the relevant data protection laws. Those service providers are bound to process your personal data only on our strict instructions and when they can offer adequate technical and organizational measures to protect your data.
We may also disclose your personal information if it is required or authorized by law, where disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life, health or safety, or where we are otherwise permitted by the relevant data protection laws.
Please be aware that we place various social media buttons (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn) on our website in the form of a link. By visiting a website which integrates social media plugins, certain data (your current IP address, visited sites, the date and time the website etc.) is forwarded to these social media services even if you are not registered with these services.
If you are already logged into the social media service when you click on the social media button, the social media service may also use this data to identify your user name and possibly even your real name. We have no control over the extent, nature and purpose of such data processing by the social media service. Please note that the social media service is perfectly capable of using this data to create pseudonymized and even individualized user profiles.
We leave it up to you on whether you want your personal data to be forwarded to social media services by using the so-called 2-Click-Method. The 2-Click Method refers to a technique of protecting consumers’ identity where a social media button appears on a website. The 2-Click system uses static links that require the social media buttons to be “activated” by a user before any data is transferred to the social media server. A button is activated with the first “click”. Once it has been activated, the social media service has access to all the above-mentioned information. The user will, with a second “click”, be able to interact with the website using his or her profile on the activated social media platform, e.g. by sharing or liking a post.
You can find further information about data protection regarding Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/policy.php, regarding Twitter at https://twitter.com/privacy?lang=de and regarding Instagram at https://help.instagram.com/155833707900388.
4. International data transfers
5. Security of data
We or our third-party providers use a variety of security measures, including encryption and authentication tools, to help protect your information. All credit card information you supply is transmitted via secure servers and Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and stored with an AES-256 encryption.
We take commercially reasonable precautions and have implemented commercially reasonable technical measures to protect against the risks of unauthorized access to, erroneous disclosure of, and unlawful interception of personal information submitted via the website or otherwise collected or possessed by us. However, the Internet is never 100% secure and we do not guarantee the security of any information transmitted over the Internet. For the avoidance of doubt, we expressly disclaim any representation or warranty, whether express or implied, with respect to ensuring, guaranteeing or otherwise offering any definitive promise of security in connection with your information.
6. California Privacy Rights and Supplemental California Privacy Notice
If you’re a California resident, this section provides additional details of the personal information we collect about you and the rights you have.
For more details about the personal information we have collected over the last 12 months, including the categories of sources, please see section 1. We collect this information for the purposes described in section 2. As described above in section 3 we also share and/or disclose your personal information as follows:
- Sharing your personal information for business purposes: we may share the following categories of your personal information with service providers, third parties, business partners, public or government (including enforcement) authorities, creditors, and successors for our business purposes: identifiers, information capable of being associated with you, information about products and services, internet or other electronic activity information (as described above), and inferences drawn from information about you. As described above, examples of business purposes include performing transactions, registering accounts, managing our relationship with you, and monitoring for security threats and fraud.
- Sharing your personal information for commercial or other purposes: we may share the following categories of your personal information with third parties, business partners, and affiliates in a manner that constitutes a ‘sale’ under California law: identifiers, information capable of being associated with you, information about products and services, internet or other electronic activity information (as described above), and inferences drawn from information about you. This information may be shared for the following purposes: personalization, analytics, marketing, retargeting, and sales.
As a California resident, you have the right to: (i) request access to your personal information; (ii) request deletion of your personal information; (iii) request information about the personal information about you that we have ‘sold’ (as such term is defined under California law) to third parties within the past 12 months; and (iv) opt-out of the ‘sale’ of your personal information. If you wish to request the exercise of any of these rights, please see the below options:
Please note that opting out of sales in the context of cookies will not stop us from presenting all advertisements to you on our online services. We may still present contextual or other advertisements to you that do not rely on ‘sales’ to our advertising partners.
- For other ‘sales’ - To exercise your right to opt out of any other ‘sales’ of your personal information, please click here.
7. Contact us
If you have questions, comments or complaints regarding the processing of your personal data, you can contact us at email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at Canvas, Inc., 125 W 24th Street – 7th Floor, New York, NY 10011.
Thank you for visiting our site.