If you love carrot cake, then these fluffy vegan carrot cake pancakes are perfect for you! They're made easily in one bowl with simple, healthy ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen. It's seriously like having healthy cake for breakfast...what's better than that?
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 5 tablespoons water)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup Take Two Original Barleymilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots (~3 carrots)
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Cream cheese frosting (4 ounces vegan cream cheese + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar + 1 tablespoon Take Two Original Barleymilk)
- Walnuts or pecans
- Maple syrup
To a large bowl, add flaxseed meal and water. Let it set for at least 5 minutes to thicken. Add in the ripe banana and use a fork to mash until it reaches a pudding like consistency. A few small lumps are okay to leave!
Add in the barleymilk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Whisk until combined. Now you can add in the oat flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. Whisk again until combined. Take notice of how the batter looks here, if it's too dry or runny, add either a touch more milk or oat flour to adjust. It should be a thick, yet pourable batter.
Shred your carrots using a grater as fine or chunky as you'd like and add to the batter.
Heat a pan or griddle over medium heat, coat lightly with oil if needed. Scoop the batter using a 1/4 cup measure for each pancake and add to the griddle, use the back of a spoon to spread them out into circles. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the pancakes slightly puff up and you see the edge has lightly browned. Flip the pancakes and cook for another 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve immediately, topped with cream cheese frosting and toasted coconut flakes, and enjoy!